Sunday, May 3, 2009

Glenwood Road Race 5/02

I decided on Wed that I was going to do this race and I was able to talk Shawn in to going with me. The forecast was supposed to be showers in the afternoon. Shawn arrived at 6:30 am and we loaded up and headed out. It was fairly warm out and as we got farther south closer to Tacoma it started to rain. We got to the parking lot in Port Orchard, got changed, got the bikes on the trainers and began warming up. The course was 13 miles and we were doing 3 laps I think to complete 40 miles. We had a full field of 50+. As we rolled out Shawn wasn't sure how he was going to do but said he would stick to my wheel. I rolled up to the front but didn't see Shawn. I coasted back and he said to go ahead as his legs were still feeling a bit heavy. With only 10 miles down we were coming to a corner and the pack in front spread out and started yelling. The 5 (I believe) that were at the front all went down in the corner. There was a guy in the middle of the road and 3 others spread out towards the ditch with 1 guy getting up out of the ditch. As we came back by on the following lap there was a bit of gravel on the inside of that corner so I bet thats what they all hit. The course was alot of fun with rolling hills and some good small climbs that weren't hard at all. The finish, again was on a hill but nothing compared to the race prior. I was feeling real good and was itching to try and get in a break. I moved to the front right before a hill and was able to gap the field a bit with another rider. I asked him a few times if he wanted to try and go but he wasn't really interested as we still had another 20 miles to go. So, we sat up and let the pack swallow us up. It was so wet. The spray from the riders in front of you was making things difficult to see. Normally I would try to spit away from myself and not on myself. However it was so wet there was no point. It was so wet. With 2.5 miles to go the pack started closing up and really getting a bit crazy getting themselves in position for the lead out to the line. I was probably 6th wheel and getting ready to make my move when the back end of the bike made the move that you hate. I knew immediately I had a flat but I thought if I didn't look down at it, it would disappear. Nope. I moved over to the yellow line and threw my hand up as the pack flew by. I couldn't believe it. I could see the 1k sign about 100 yards up the road. I flatted that close. I sat there for a minute on the side of the road cussing at anything and everything. I was so wet and annoyed. A follow car pulled up to talk to me and called the sweeper up to pick me up. I rode in the back of the truck back to the parking lot. As we were heading back I saw Shawn with another guy heading to the finish line. That was good to see that he made it. He would later report that he got caught out when that crash happened and the back half of the pack did as well. He finished though and that is what counts. Strong effort to stay with it in the weather conditions. I am on my way now to go buy some new tires as my back Michelin Pro 3 looks like a cheese grader.

Next week Ravensdale Road Race.

No comments: